This recipe comes from the family recipe box for the Brooks family. When we knew in Episode 13 that we were doing strawberries, there was no question on what recipe would go with this show. Not only is the strawberry filling great, the pie crust recipe is delicious too! Give it a try and let us know how you like it.
Brooks Strawberry Pie
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Intermediate
- (0.5 /5)
- 2 Rating
- 4 cups of strawberries
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup of sugar 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cups water
- Pie Crust Below:
- 1 lb 6 oz all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of shortening
- 2 tsp salt
- 10 tbsp of water
- First collect and scale all ingredients. Dissolve salt in water and set aside.
- Place flour and shortening in mixing bowl or on counter. Rub shortening into flour until the fat is the size of hazelnuts or peas.
- Add the salt water. Mix gently, just until the water is absorbed. Do not over work the dough.
- Press dough into ball and place in plastic bag for four hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and place on floured counter. Roll out until 1/4 inch thick, working from side to side. Place flat dough over our pie pan.
- Remove the access and crimp the edges with thumb and fire finger. Puncture all over with a fork.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Start measuring out ingredients for making your strawberry pie filling.
- Once pie is done, arrange about half of strawberries in baked pastry shell.
- Mash remaining berries and combine with sugar in a medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into boiling strawberry mixture. Reduce heat and simmer mixture until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Once thickened, pour mixture over berries in pastry shell. Shake a little to make sure the mixture gets worked down into the whole strawberries already in crust.
- Chill for several hours before serving.
The Host and Executive Producer, Steven Brooks, knows foods. With over 10 years experience as an Executive Chef for various local restaurants and Country Clubs in Northwest Arkansas, he has ...Read more about this chef..